Thursday 29 August 2013

Result

Rather belatedly, I publish the result of People and Place. Meant to do this some time ago but forgot.

I achieved 63%, 2(i) standard. There were 5 scores higher than mine (two over 70%) and seven lower; it is not a competition but gratifying a) to achieve this standard; b) to be in the top half of the results.

The breakdown was as follows (with TAOP in brackets):

Demonstration of technical and visual skills             24/40 (28/40)
Quality of outcome                                               13/20 (12/20)
Demonstration of creativity                                   12/20 (10/20)
Context                                                               14/20 (12/20)

A virtually identical result overall to TAOP but better in the last two categories; achieved 70% for context. This is especially pleasing because I commenced the course with the aim of improving the artistic side of my photography and clear signs of progress here.

The written advice is not particularly helpful, with over half of it commenting on particular piece of feedback, which seems rather out of context. Is complimentary of my review of Cotton's book.

Mentions that "it would have been preferable to have reviewed an edit of prints, particularly as you have one or two interesting shots within each assignment." This is a recurrent theme; I think I would have scored more highly in quality of outcome in both P&P and TAOP had I sent in prints. But, as I have mentioned several times,  it comes at a cost in time and money. 50 or so prints and mounts would cost £300 as well as postage etc, a big cost to achieve a few more marks. The marks here do not count to a degree so one has to make the call whether presenting one's work in printed format is truly worth the cost and time. I don't think so.

Well this is it for some time now. Pleased with how both modules have gone, and decided to study Understanding Visual Culture next. However, time does not permit presently, just too much to do. On reflection, it is surprising I did as well with P&P as I did. Spent a lot less time than on TAOP and it was all rather rushed at the end. It may well be three years before I get round to UVC, at the point I intend to retire from work. It would be great to start earlier then that but realistically my other interests an workload prevent it.

No comments:

Post a Comment